The third level of complexity describes a scenario where more than 1,000 databases are published and 10% are frequently updated. In such cases, it is common for the platform to manage databases from various agencies with specialized IT staff that can meet the demands of various sectors in a timely manner.
One or more servers can be used, depending on the preference of the infrastructure's management team. The front-end part must integrate different web services, preferably with an API. The database documents should be managed automatically, possibly with a cloud storage solution. The metadata is stored in an optimized repository. Sending and updating databases is delegated to each public agency that shares the platform, with automatic validation of databases and access control levels. Broken links are checked automatically. A system should be provided so that consumers can report errors to the person responsible for each database, via a web form, for example. A search can be implemented by structured queries in the metadata repository in the CMS or using Google custom search on the main site.
● The front end integrates various web services, preferably by API.
● Automatic management of the original data files stored in a cloud solution.
● Metadata is stored in an optimized repository.
● Sending and updating databases is delegated to each public agency, with automatic validation of databases and access control levels.
● Automatic check for broken links.
● System allowing consumers can report errors to the person responsible for each database via a web form or similar way.
● Structured search in the metadata repository in the CMS or using Google custom search on the main site.
Best information security practices
Just like any other initiative involving information technology, opening databases should follow the strict criteria for best information security practices. Please note:
Data governance to ensure:
- Authority of the source
- Rules of engagement
Classification of public vs. confidential data to ensure:
- That private or confidential data cannot be accessed externally.
Information security controls to ensure:
- Confidentiality and data integrity
- Protection against denial-of-service attacks (DoS)